EFDN’s programme ‘Scoring for Health’ aims to tackle the problem of childhood obesity which, as identified by the World Health Organisation, is still a critical issue throughout Europe today. With the underlying target of promoting a healthy diet and lifestyle amongst children, their families and wider communities across Europe, the programme supports the 3rd UN Sustainable Development Goal of Good Health and Well Being and is co-funded by the UEFA Foundation for Children and European Union.
Scoring for Health encourages children from 7 to 14 years and their parents to adopt a healthy lifestyle and make them aware of healthy nutrition. This programme will be running for 3 years, where 3 periods of 20 weeks of various activities will be delivered by the participating football clubs and the Portuguese FA in cooperation with local schools and health organisations. Each cycle of the programme starts and finishes with a sporting event at the respective stadiums or elite academies. Participants will be given specialist interactive classes, learning sessions and workshops on a weekly basis on topics such as nutrition, cooking, physical activity and football sessions. The launch events for the programme will be held at the stadiums or elite academies of the participating clubs where, with players from the club supporting them, the pupils will have the opportunity to enjoy a day of sports and games as well as several educational workshops. Key physical indicators and health determinants (weight, height, BMI, speed, balance etc) will also be measured, collected and calculated for each participant, giving an instant analysis of each child’s fitness and providing a scientific basis for allowing comparisons and defining the participants’ progress.
What are the principal goals of the programme?
- To encourage awareness of healthy lifestyles among the children and their parents
- To allow participants to experience that sport and exercise are healthy and enjoyable
- To increase physical activity among children (25% more meets HEPA Guidelines standards)
- To promote healthy dietary behaviours based on the Guidelines for healthy nutrition
- To improve children’s physical fitness
What do we offer your club, league or FA?
- Get involved: To find out more about the campaign and how you can play your part as a football organisation visit the Get Involved page or contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Free resources: You can get your branded Scoring for Health resources including workbooks and teacher manuals.
- Project support: EFDN and project partners will support you in delivering the programme in your communities.
Scoring for Health will be embedded as much as possible in ongoing lifestyle interventions in the municipalities of the clubs. This will be achieved by a local working group per municipality, in which all involved stakeholders are represented.